Feast of the Visitation of Mary
May 31, 2010
Gospel: Luke 1:39-56
Hence we are culminating the Month which is dedicated to the Blessed Mother. Let us Meditate on The Blessed Mother as “Model of Christians”
The Church is one,the one People of God. But she is also a community of Persons, a plurality if individuals. Mary is the Model also of ever one of the disciples of Christ her Son. In this sense, there are many ways to imitate her, depending on the ways in which people differ. And a every person is in the final analysis the judge of validity of the specific ways of imitation he or she follows.
We can, however identify general areas of imitation of Mary by Individuals.
1. Allowing oneself to be loved by God: Although Christians are all aware of the first commandment cited by God “To love God” (Mt.22:37) they are usually not aware of the reverse side of the commandment, to allow oneself to be loved by God. It flows from the revelation that God is love (1 Jn. 4:16)
Indeed, to allow oneself to loved by God is the origin and the foundation of holiness. To let oneself to be loved by God in imitation of Mary means to accept his gifts, to entrust oneself to his guidance, to know how to thanks him, and to create one’s own “Magnificat”, one’s own “Alleluia” offering of praise for the great things God has done for us.
2. Obeying with Intelligence: Christians are to obey God, but with intelligence, as Mary did. She desired clarification before giving her consent (Lk. 1:30) This way of acting indicates God’s respect for the human creature and signals a quality of behavior of human beings toward God.
True obedience entails, watchful presence and lucid attention that is, intelligence. Like Mary, Christians are to aim for very personal and intelligent obedience.
3. Listening to one’s whole heart: Christians are to be people who listens just as Mary is the virgins who listens. In addition, they must listen with their whole hearts, meditating on the words they hear. Such listening entails, defense of thje word heard, discernment in sifting through messages, patiencein incomprehension and protective silence
4. Persevering Faithfulness: Like the servant of the Lord and the disciples of Christ, Mary persevered in the pilgrim journey of faith. Christians are to imitate this perseverance in faith. This involves global fidelity: toward Gos, toward oneself and toward one’s proper role, toward other person toward all creations.
5. Serving those who should be served: Mary calls herself the servant of the Lord. The Gospel Idea of service is putting one’s talent to use in the service of God and others. It means recognizing each moment those who should be served, familiarity with the spirit, and carrying out the service necessary.
6. Remaining close to the Cross Mary had her joys in life, but she also had her sorrows, culminating in the sorrow at the foot of the cross (Jn. 19:25-27). Christians are to stand beneath the infinite crosses on which the son of Man is suspended in his brothers and sisters.
The Application to Us….
Mary is not only an exemplar for the whole church in the exercise of this worship but also a teacher of the spiritual life for all of us. She is an example of the worship that consist in the making one’s life an offering to God.This is an ancient and ever knew doctrine that each of us can hear again by heeding the church’s teaching and by meditating on Mary’s “Yes” to God “Let it be done to me according to your word” (Lk. 1:38) fr that “Yes”
In our resolve to live as adherents of God and disciples of Christ, we need to have the slightest hesitation to seek an example in Mary, For she was a woman of her time and social environment, fully engaged in the temporal affairs that fell to her and perfect ordering them according to God’s Plan.
From Mary, we can learn or learn better by carrying out our daily task as a “service” committed to us by the Lord, we already in the process of fulfilling the apostolic mission that is our virtue of our Baptism.
We can and should count on Mary for help in making all our activities more christian and fruitful. Having been assumed into heaven, with her maternal charity, Mary cares for her brothers and sisters of her Son who are still on their earthly pilgrimage before being led into their happy homeland. We should devoutly venerate her and commend our lives and apostolates to her maternal care.
In the Final analysis, the Christian life of Christ in us. If we are adapt to it and let it transform us, we have to begin with actual circumstances of our existence of our existence. To a certain extent, the Particular aspect in which we view our Lord or our lady at any given moment is conditioned by the situation of the Moment.
Let us thank our blessed Mother for being a Mother and a guide towards her Son Jesus